"Yes / No / Okay, But" brings up some interesting ideas of what it actually means to make an argument. I can't just say "I think people with Tattoos can be professional." I actually have to dive in and prove why, from my perspective, they can be. At the same time, I need to fully take into consideration some of the messages others have been saying on my topic. Those that are 'against' the side that I'm arguing for may have some GREAT information that can actually be 'for' my views, so I'll need to dig a little bit and interpret what they're actually saying. It's ideas like this that tell me to look deeper into the arguments that are against my topic to find good information to work on, and build my paper around.
The hardest part for me is knowing that I'll be disagreeing with certain points of view. For a lot of my life I've been doing my best to ride the line between two views, seeing both sides, and partially siding with both. This paper is going to test my ability to dive in and hold strong to my ideas on the subject. I'm sure I'll be smoothing the rough edges a bit with suggested phrases like "Although I agree up to a point, I still insist..."
This was a much easier read than beating my head against the English language. The style of writing in this reading is much easier to follow and understand. It's almost like they actually wanted people to learn from it! Both readings will provide great information, but I pulled much more useful information out of this reading.
Sometimes, simpler is better!
No comments:
Post a Comment