Sunday, March 13, 2011

Argument Essay Reading Response

The e-text module for the Argument Essay didn't present any new ideas to me for my research. Although I had never heard of the CQ Researcher before, when I typed in various keywords from my topic, the only article that came was one about extreme sports. I didn't consider rock climbing an extreme sport, and apparently this article didn't either. The only mention it had that was specific to rock climbing was talking about the dangers of falling, which only encompassed about 3 lines of the article. The rest of the article was mainly dedicated to cage fighting and MMA fights, which are definitely extreme. Climbing might be considered extreme by some people, but the risk for injury and even death is very low and almost non-existent when compared with MMA fights. I did find a good article on the ProQuest site, but I don't think it's something I'll be able to use for my essay. It was mainly concerned with the government raising access fees to National Parks, with a specific focus on Denali National Park in Alaska. The Boise State Library, however, has always been a wealth of information when I've needed to do research. I found a dissertation written by someone from Griffith University in Australia that I hope will be useful. I requested the item through a loan so I hope it gets here in time. From my research that I've done throughout the semester I already quite a few sources that I can use, but I would like to find some more, and the Albertsons Library online search is a great tool that I will continue to use during the remainder of my time at BSU.

Source:
Ashman, Elizabeth. Rock Climbers and Their Environment : Site Selection, Substitution and Rule Obedience. Diss. Griffith University, 1998. 1998. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment