Monday, March 21, 2011

Orwell's 'Polotics' left me feeling like a broken hammer...

HOLY COW!! could this essay be any longer and more confusing?

As an art major, working with my hands and eyes in a medium that is candy for the eyes, the ideas in this painfully long essay were a bit beyond my grasp. Parts of it I can grasp, but my mind tends to think simpler is best... i can't make contact with my words to have them serve the purpose of making me sound smarter.

According to parts of this essay, in my opinion it's not an unjustifiable assumption (or.... "i think") that as a writer of an essay, I'm supposed to pad almost all of my sentences with useless information. It's phrases like this that confuse me to no end. We're supposed to get to the point, making our stance and supporting our arguments that we've chosen. Aren't we? Or are we instead supposed to figure out new ways to write a sentence so that it winds up twice as long with pretty much zero addition to the meaning of the message? If I were to actually write like this, my entire writing style would be dissolved, putting bars around my voice and sanitizing my writings. Feeling is removed, and it becomes boring when "I Think" is turned into something that, in my mind, pushes the writer up onto a pedestal above the reader.  Maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time with this reading... I'm not the type of person who reads an essay with a dictionary on hand to look up words, nor am I the type of writer who's going to use words that require being looked up. If I can't define them with in the sentence/paragraph, I wont use them. Using them would only prove to the readers that I'm full of crap because my stile would be thrown for a loop by such a foreign word.

 As the essay concludes, the 6 rules stand out as an ironic message to me. The long-winded exploration into the English language and it's decline is summed up in 6 simple rules. I think I missed the point, but I learned a few new words along the way. Like the feeling I can only remember from a dream, feet moving as if I were walking through molasses up to my knees... I made it through the essay.

In conclusion, the length of this reading, and the font-size was NOT candy for the eyes? It was more like being hit against an anvil, only absorbing some of the meaning via osmosis... even though it was definitely more educational  reading this paper, compared to sleeping on it. ;) I'll stick with my simplistic meanings and explanations in my writings as they portray my feeling and voice to the reader. With out that, i wouldn't be much better than a word processor that spat out random facts. Voice and feeling is what keeps a reader reading, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment