This reading seemed to cover a lot of things we went over when preparing our final portfolios for English 101. The main thing we did not cover in that class, but is mentioned in this reading, is the section on reading your paper aloud to yourself. I agree with the author when he say’s “You may find the experience a little unsettling”. This is something that I’ve never really been able to do completely. I’ll start reading it aloud and then usually get to a point when I tell myself that I can’t go any further. I always figure that someone’s only going to be reading this to themselves, not out loud. I never figured that just because it made sense to me as it was written that it would make sense to a different person.
The section on using a reader was helpful, so I had my wife read over my unit 2 and she came up with some good ideas for to change some things. Instructor feedback is also incredibly useful when doing revisions, as they can sort of direct the focus of your paper into something more coherent.
I did look back at some different research that I had previously come across, but didn’t find anything that would add more substance to my revisions. I was curious about his praise for the site www.refdesk.com, so I thought I'd check it out since I had never heard of it before. I found the site to be incredibly confusing and full of way too many links to click on. I think Google Scholar and the Albertsons Library search engine have served me better while being much less confusing. In all, it was an interesting read, but I don't think I came away from it any more prepared than I already was.
No comments:
Post a Comment