Monday, February 21, 2011

Source Analysis -Irina Chernish

Burns, Donna. Personal Interview. 21 Feb. 2011.

I will be interviewing Donna Burns this coming up Wednesday over the phone because that was the only way we could do the interview because our schedules where so different from each others. She is the top person here in Idaho for the Weight Watchers program and she has weekly meetings at Rocky Mountain Cathedral. I don't know much else but I do intend to ask a lot of questions to find out as much as I can about her and her involvement in the Weight Watchers subculture.

Davidson, Tish. "Weight Watchers." The Gale Encyclopedia of Diets: a Guide to Health and Nutrition. Ed. Jacqueline L. Longe. First ed. Vol. 2. Detroit: Thomson Gale, 2008. 1010-013. Print.

This source gives me the very technical information about Weight Watchers. It gives the history and present information about the company. It has the technicalities about the diet that the company is promoting. It even gives the risks involved if someone is to go on the diet. The way this helps me is by giving me the facts that I need to know about what I'm writing. I need to know the history of a company in order to better undestand the subculture its created. Plus the technical stuff, although somewhat boring are very much needed.

Kirchhoff, David. "Weight Loss, Weight Watchers and Men." Weight Watchers May 2010: 6.Print.

The president and CEO of Weight Watchers wrote an interesting article giving reasons about why men should join the program. I didn't even realize it until a little while ago but this program is geared and advertised mostly toward women. I mean Jennifer Hudson is the spokesperson for Weight Watchers. I will make a point of this in my essay and maybe try to delve a bit deeper into this “phenomenon”

Nidetch, Jean, and Joan Rattner Heilman. The Story of Weight Watchers. New York: W/W TwentyFirst Corporation, 1970. Print.

The book “The Story of Weight Watchers” gives a very in depth look into who made Weight Watchers and why. The origins of a subculture are very important because it shapes the subculture that we have today. I need to know the history of my subculture. I want to know what inspired the creator to create, for lack of a better word, Weight Watchers.

Nordqvist, Christian. "What Is Weight Watchers? What Are The Benefits Of Weight Watchers?" Medical News Today: Health News. Web. 21 Feb. 2011.

This article is another very technical source. It gives me the history and an extremely descriptive procedure one has to look at in order to tell if one should or should not follow the Weight Watchers program. I think it is ideal if I look at what the members of this subculture have maybe looked at and considered before they joined the group.

Smith, Emma. "The Jury Is In." Weight Watchers May 2010: 32. Print.

Karen Kazanchy is from New Jersey and she is part of the Weight Watchers subculture. Even though her personal story is short and she's not really from around here she probably has had a very similar story to a lot of other people who are currently in weight watchers. I need a bit of character in my essay because a lot of facts is just kind of boring.

1 comment: